How does the database synchronization work in DTM Data Comparer?
The data synchronization process consists of three steps:
- Data comparison. The synchronization tool looks for different rows and values at this step.
- Synchronization script generation. DTM Data Comparer creates a set of INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE SQL statements to synchronize databases. Also,
synchronization script can contain COMMIT statements as well as another service items depends on
synchronization settings and DBMS.
- Data synchronization script execution. The program actually synchronizes data at this step. Of course the user can only generate the script without synchronization.
How to manage synchronization process?
Our experts have tuned the tool to be suitable for most users. However DTM Data Comparer has a few settings that make synchronization more flexible. Most important are:
- Individual options for INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE statements. For example, the user can disable removing any rows from target database when updating and inserting are enabled.
- Transaction size allows to optimize synchronization script execution.
- Date conversion feature allows to synchronize date/time values in the different format.
- Allow/Ignore identity modes for Microsoft SQL Server.
Can I schedule the process with data synchronization software?
Yes. To schedule synchronization process:
- Create synchronization project with GUI version of the tool.
- Test the project with -s and -c command line switches.
- Create scheduled job based on command line from the second step. Windows Scheduler can be used as well as third party schedule systems.